Weekend Wednesday: Be Her Freedom and Bazan
The first weekend of March officially launches the warm weather fitness season. After a frigid Donna Hicken 26.2 being able to push ourselves for a good cause while sporting shorts could not come soon enough. Sure seeing your breath has a romantic appeal but I need to qualify it within a trail run or surrounded by snow. In Florida, give me a 45 degree start.
Not sure how you approach the weekend but I personally love to look for live music to experience. Thank fully a very cool event that has been much-anticipated has finally come. Get your information after the jump.
This is the 3rd annual run to benefit human trafficking. This event raises money for the A21 Campaign, a group whose goal is to “abolish injustice in the 21st century”. There is both a 5 mile and 1 mile run which respectively will cost $30/$20 until March 2nd and $35/$25 on race day.
The course is located throughout the Deerwood Park and Gate Parkway area. Quiet and flat course with digital clocks located at each mile and water stations throughout. Start and finish line located in the Celebration Church parking lot. Breakfast items and water will be available for you upon completion of the race. Indoor bathrooms are located on site.
The event is sponsored by Celebration Church and they do a great job of making this a real family friendly event.
Some basic information about the problem, per the A21 website. Footnotes are defined by the reference link on this page.
Human trafficking is an organized criminal industry that affects every nation. While the statistics can seem overwhelming, it is important to remember that every number represents the life of a victim. The A21 Campaign has recognized a significant need in the region of Europe, and is committed to combating this injustice through rescuing one life at a time.
LIFE FOR A SEX TRAFFICKING VICTIM
After a trafficking journey that typically involves deception, rape, beatings, and constant threats, victims are often forced to live in confining and unsanitary conditions. Once formally put to work, human trafficking victims can be forced to service from 40 to 110 customers in one day1. Malnutrition, sleep deprivation, as well as emotional and physical abuse become part of the day-to-day routine.
In addition to the abuse, forced abortions and the contraction of STI’s, Hepatitis B and C, and AIDS are ever looming probabilities. Life for a victim of sex trafficking is hell on earth. This injustice is the reason The A21 Campaign exists.
THE STATISTICS: FOCUS EUROPE
- Human trafficking is the second largest global organized crime today, generating approximately 31.6 billion USD each year. Specifically, trafficking for sexual exploitation generates 27.8 billion USD per year2.
- There are 1.39 million victims of commercial sexual servitude worldwide3.
- Over 25 percent of sex trafficked victims are trafficked from Southern and Eastern Europe4.
- 90% of victims trafficked into the European Union member states will end up in the sex industry5.
- Tragically, only 1-2 percent of victims are rescued, and only 1 in 100,000 Europeans involved in trafficking are convicted6.
Please let me know if you can make it. My recruiting efforts have yielded me almost a dozen concerned athletes. Weather looks to be clear and in the upper 50′s to start.
David Bazan – Living Room Concert
On the evening of March 3rd I will be attending my first ever living room concert. David Bazan, a musician I know little about but who from what I have listened to is a very talented singer/songwriter, will be our entertainment. My reason for mentioning this is two-fold.
- It will serve as a reference point for the living room concert I will be hosting on April 21st featuring C. J. Fluharty (and maybe friends.)
- Due to a scheduling conflict the two extra tickets I bought for my friends Joe and Hazel have lost an owner as Hazel cannot attend. Joe is unable to find a partner and is willing to give his up if a couple wants to take their place. Let me know if you are interested in either one or both.
I hope this is a feature you will look forward to seeing in the future. My goal is to help you know what is going on. If you are from another state or city feel free to ping me as I would love to promote your events as well.