Second Harvest Citrus Glean
Tomorrow Change-Can, through Society of St. Andrew, will be participating in the Second Harvest of North Florida city-wide citrus glean. It is a wonderful effort to engage the community to donate their citrus that would otherwise go to waste. Many volunteers have given their time on a Saturday morning harvest the citrus so Second Harvest can distribute it to those in need. I am honored to be the site leader for The Church of Jacksonville location.
- Southside/Beaches– Chets Creek Church, 4420 Hodges Blvd
- Mandarin– Mandarin Presbyterian, 12001 Mandarin Rd
- San Marco/Baymeadows – The Church of Jacksonville, 8313 Baycenter Rd
- Arlington– Arlington UMC, 1400 University Blvd N
- Westside- Potters House Christian, 5119 Normandy Rd
All sites will open their registration for volunteers promptly at 8:00 am. At my site there will be a table set up as my volunteers will need to do the following:
- Fill out a waiver. If a family is participating only one waiver is needed for the primary and all family members can be added to the back of the document.
- Review the rules for approaching residents, picking fruit and gleaning the site.
- Get assigned to one of two groups.
- Get assigned your map of sites which will include name and phone number of the resident. It is recommended you call them prior to arriving.
- Get the appropriate tools. I will have fruit baskets, clippers, hooks and sheets to catch any soft skinned fruit. I will also have hard hats for those gleaning grapefruit trees. You will need to bring your own gloves. I also recommend something long-sleeved as some trees, specifically lemons, are thorny.
- Get cards thanking the residents for their donation, which also doubles as a receipt for tax reporting purposes.
Some of the volunteers will need to remain at our home base to receive the fruit and put it into the bins for transport. I will make every effort to ensure volunteers go out with friends and family but it is important to note that both groups will need experienced gleaners so you allocation will need to be governed by experience.
For more information please visit the Second Harvest of North Florida website. You may contact me directly through Facebook, Twitter or by responding to this post. If you are reading this and have a citrus tree you are more than welcome to bring the fruit to any of the locations between 8:00 am and 12:00 pm. Better still if you would like to schedule a glean please contact me and I will visit your residence.